Sunday, May 9, 2010

La Cantina

Here, my friend, is an ode to the Cantina. I want to go inside so badly. Its the type of place, as a fellow study abroad student pointed out, that if you walked in, everyone would stop what they were doing and stare like an old Western movie, or 3:10 to Yuma, or something of that nature. It's trouble. Profa made a point to tell us not to enter a Mexican Cantina. The sign definitely says Cubana. Loophole?
But no, seriously, how awesome would it be to walk in. Have you seen the doors? I'd feel like a bad ass caballera. Who doesn't want that?

It's going to be a long month, Cantina, a long month.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I realize this is two years old, but I feel obliged.

    You should have gone in! The bartender, Juan, is the nicest guy. He poured a mezcal con manzanilla for me every time I came in without asking. Jorge the mime in the Plaza de la Union hangs out in there. We became good friends in that place. Daniel, a cellist for the orchestra, lives upstairs and he'd pop in now and then. I scored a lot of free tickets to the shows that way. Oliverio and his incredibly talented girlfriend, both poets, hang out in there.

    Basically, this is where the artist class of Guanajuato hangs out. Also lots of drunk old men, but they were always nice. CCR is the only thing in English on the jukebox, so someone would invariably play it at some point in the night in my honor. I even took my mom there when she visited me in Gto.

    So next time you're in Guanajuato you should really go say hi to the gang at the Cantina Cubana.

    ReplyDelete